I’m sharing this brief email to update you on the ongoing efforts of RISE UP Rockaway, Inc. a local interfaith social services corporation to aid the impoverished of our area.
Since its inception in 2017, RISE UP has assisted more than 1,000 families: primarily low-income wage earners in our area. These folks were living slightly above the NJ poverty line before the pandemic hit and are still identified by our state as the “working poor”. Those fortunate to find work today are living paycheck to paycheck to make ends meet while supporting their children in need.
RISE UP distributes donation dollars in the following ways:
- Supporting the Rockaway Community Food Closet
- Providing backpack supplies for school children in need
- Serving free nutritious breakfasts to seniors and other individuals in need
- Offering free grief support groups and free counseling services from qualified professional counselors
- Continuing to offer job skills placement services
- Creating scholarship opportunities at the County College of Morris
- Satisfying the physical needs of the elderly and disabled with adequate furniture relief
- Supplying the poor with soaps, shampoos, and other toiletries not covered by food stamps
- Distributing warm socks, coats, hats, and scarves during cold weather
- Responding to those burned out in local fire disasters
- Furnishing families with pre-holiday gift cards to put smiles on the faces of their children for the holiday season
In addition, contributions to RISE UP assist in providing supermarket gift cards and other emergency financial assistance to those experiencing emergency health crises, floods, etc.
If you would like to support RISE UP with a financial gift, simply go to our newly refurbished website at www.riseupnj.org and click the “donate” button. RISE UP is a fully licensed 501-c-3 Not for Profit Corporation… and your contributions are tax-deductible as per IRS standards.
Our nation is facing a potential recession, and we’ve all been hearing about the current rising inflation rate…all the more reason your gift to RISE UP can make a huge difference for our neighbors in need. No gift is too small.
RISE UP can use volunteers, too! If you would like to be a “difference maker”, simply email me at: email@example.com. I’d love to put you in touch with some of our dedicated leaders. RISE UP is composed entirely of volunteers…nobody, including me, receives financial remuneration…we volunteer because of compassion to make our world a better place!
May you be blessed in the days ahead!
Rev. Dr. Jack DiMatteo
Executive Director, RISE UP Rockaway, Inc.